Tuesday, August 30, 2011

empathy and wisdom

Last night I retrieved my artist sketch pencils from a drawer, and thought about how much time had passed since art school. That was probably the last time I had touched those pencils. Before I knew it, half a page was covered with cerebral catharsis, something pulled from deep within my psyche. I have no idea from whence it came, but with it a sense of relief and accomplishment rushed over me. As a smile sneakily crept to my face, I looked down at the pencils and thought, "see you tomorrow, my friends."

After completing this picture last night, I was instantly reminded of my childhood bed. My bed was so full of stuffed animals that no part of the mattress could be seen. Every night I jumped into the middle and completely melted into a cozy world of stuffed animals. I shared all of my happy and sad moments of youth with these toys. Many of them had been "loved" so excessively that they looked time-worn and wise beyond their years. I remember them staring back at me with an almost empathetic and sometimes melancholy understanding. Apparently this has stuck with me for a very long time.

Aw, look at little me, all nestled in there....


No comments:

Post a Comment